We live in an era of technology in which we depend on our electronic devices extensively. Devices like cellphones and laptop computers have become accustomed a vital part of our lives and all of them come with Li-ion batteries.
And here, the least desirable things about those highly advanced electronics appear. Since Lithium-ion batteries have limited power storage capacity, it’s a contentious issue for people to ensure they have their chargers available. But what if you just lost the charger or forgot to carry it with you?
Knowing how to charge lithium-ion battery without charger can be the only savior at that moment. No matter if you forgot your charger at your house, misplaced it on vacation, or it’s dead, we’ve figured out a perfect guide to help you out.
How To Charge Lithium-ion Battery Without Charger
There are some amazing ways to charge your lithium-ion batteries without a charger. You can quickly get your batteries up and running using a few simple techniques.
Here are some of the easiest ways to recharge lithium-ion batteries without a charger.
- Using USB Cable
USB charging is becoming more and more popular as new technologies are being developed to make it more convenient. For example, the USB-C standard provides a faster and more efficient charging experience than traditional USB ports.
With this new standard, many devices now come with built-in USB charging capability, making it much easier to take your devices with you wherever you go. So, you only have to look for a USB cable nearby and attach it to a charging port.
However, you must ensure your device is compatible with the USB charging option. If not, or you don’t have any cable in your backpack, you can also find them in electronic stores easily.
- Using Solar-Powered Charger
A solar-powered charger is an easy way to charge a Li-ion battery. This technology uses the sun’s energy to produce electricity, which can then be used to charge the battery. You can find solar panel chargers at most hardware stores, or make your own using a solar panel, wire, and connector.
- While there are many different types of solar panel chargers, the most common type is the oral-on-a-stick charger. This type of charger uses a stick to plug into an outlet and charge your battery.
- However, you have to make sure that your solar panel can charge your battery pack by connecting them to the USB outlet and connecting them to your devices.
- If everything seems okay, then detach the solar panel when you arrive at your destination and connect them to the devices via the USB cord. Doing so will ensure that your batteries are charged throughout the day.
Don’t forget to purchase a good quality controller to ensure proper charging.
- Using Clip Charger
One of the easiest ways to charge a Li-ion battery is with a clip charger. By using a clip charger, you can easily attach the battery to the charger and charge it without having to remove it from the charger.
Clip chargers are perfect for use with Li-ion batteries because they are small and lightweight. However, there are a few different types and prices available, so it’s important to find one that corresponds to the size and type of your battery.
- In this process, first, you must connect the battery’s positive side to the clip charger’s power source and the negative side of the battery to the Clip Charger’s USB port.
- Make sure to connect the charger securely to your battery base. This will ensure that the power is being delivered evenly and safely to your battery.
- The clip Charger should now be charging your battery. When your battery is fully charged, it will display an indicator on the screen and take about several minutes to hours to finish charging. Be sure to allow your battery to idle for at least 5 minutes before trying to use it again.
Now that you’ve charged your Li-ion battery, it’s time to try it out! Remember that this method is only effective when you have a spare battery, or the battery is detachable from the device.
- Using Car Battery
Don’t be surprised; you can also connect your Li-ion battery to your vehicle’s lead-acid battery by using an adaptor. But, you should charge by using the proper voltage and times.
Now, when your car has a 13V lead-acid battery, you can figure out that to charge a 6V Li-ion battery. However, you need a handful of small light bulbs to monitor the charging process.
- Using Another Battery
With this method, you’ll encounter a bit of complexity than others. Since only electrical experts are highly recommended, carefully research all options available to you.
Before you charge the battery and have an outlet plugged in, you have to find a compatible battery. Then connect your battery’s positive and negative points to the charger’s terminals. Plug the charger into a wall outlet and wait for it to charge.
Afterward, detach the Li-ion battery from the charger and put it together with your Lithium-ion battery. Choose a suitable battery and take it along with you. Keep in the practice of knowing what sort of battery they’re compatible with.
Precautions to Charge Lithium-Ion Battery Without Charger
Charging a lithium-ion battery without a charger is not as simple as plugging it in and boom. In some cases, the battery may not charge properly and need to be replaced. In other cases, the battery may overheat and cause a fire. So, be sure to follow the safety tips mentioned below.
- Never charge your Li-ion batteries in a metal container to avoid any chance of shorting the battery out.
- Never leave your Li-ion batteries unattended while charging
- Do not overload the lithium-ion battery when charging it. Overloading could cause the batteries to overheat and fail.
- Make sure all connection cables are completed before plugging in the charger.
- Ensure the polarity of the chargers matches the cables before plugging in the charging point.
- Make sure your battery is fully charged before you head out. This will ensure that it’s at its best when you need it most.
Also, Check – How to Charge a LiFePO4 Battery- Step by Step Guide
- How long can a lithium-ion battery last without charging?
Depending on the condition, Lithium-ion batteries can last up to several months without charging. But if you’ve ever used one, you know that they’re not your traditional “watch battery.” The rote way of charging them means that each time you plug in the charger, the battery’s voltage gradually decreases until it’s as low as it can go.
- Can you charge a lithium battery with another battery?
By adding another battery into a lithium battery, you could potentially charge it. Before you attempt to charge it in this manner, however, there are some things you should keep in mind about the process. Before you start charging your lithium battery in this way, be sure to read the method that we’ve covered in more detail above.
- How do you charge a lithium-ion battery with a power supply?
One way is to use an adapter to convert an electrical outlet into a lithium-ion battery charger. Another way to charge a lithium-ion battery is to use a power bank. Power banks are small devices that provide trickle-charge access to your lithium-ion battery.
- Can you charge lithium-ion batteries with solar?
Yes, solar panels are capable of charging a lithium-ion battery, and it charges faster than you might have assumed. The reason is that the rate for charging a lithium-ion battery is up to five times higher than the lead acid batteries it is replacing. However, never dare to connect the battery to a solar panel without a controller, or it’ll be damaged severely.
As per our reasoning, now you have multiple ideas regarding how to charge a lithium-ion battery without charger.
However, always keep all your equipment or gadgets ready the next time you wish to use one of those charging methods we discussed. Needless to say, follow appropriate safety precautions.